6/26/2010

iClone v1.3.0 review

The latest version of iClone is available. At the time of writing, iClone is the only app that utilizes full API in a comprehensive, albeit slightly slow, flow. Core functionality remains much the same from the previous versions, however, the map is the perhaps the defining feature of this update. It's fair to say that this update isn't a mere face-lift, as I'll note my impressions below.


The front page has changed for the better, and the refresh button has been placed adequately near the bottom. No more rummaging into menus to hit that. It took me 1 minute 50 seconds for the update to complete after manually executing refresh under the following conditions: a) home WiFi network, b) one account, full API, c) character had access to corp wallet. Not bad considering the massive amounts of data it is updating since the user has room to access other functions while the app continues to feed new information.


The crown jewel of iClone v1.3.0 is no doubt the map. I am quite sure every EVE player who owns an iPhone or iPod will appreciate this huge upgrade. I find myself exploring the grand universe when I'm offline, imagining where I'll be in the near future. Furthermore it eliminates the frustration one faces when trying to use dotlan EVE maps on the tiny safari browser.


Station services are displayed when a system is selected. Follow the arrow to see even more information about the system.


Some of you might notice that v1.3.0 has asteroid belts and ice belts mixed up. The developer seems aware of this. Having the statistics available is also a plus. As you can see on the screenshot, I'm carebearing in high sec so we don't see much PvP in this sector.


I haven't tested the item database extensively enough to comment on improvements at this point. Few items were prone to crash the app in the past, which the developer claims is now fixed. The database itself is cleaned up so I'm adding another point to that. Descriptions still need to be taken care of, such as 'br' tags showing up, on Dominix Navy Issue. Please help the developer by posting your findings on his forum or twitter

The assets menu is not displaying modules correctly. Even though I've placed most of my items in Station Containers, they are shown in multiple tabs, which is hard to keep track of. I am confident this will be addressed in the next version.

Overall, this is a powerful application to have in one's pocket for any avid EVE fan. The size has been slightly increased to 253.1MB. Stability has improved as I have not experienced any shutdowns. I would like for the character sheet UI to get a revamp as I still find Capsuleer to be more appealing to check on my skills queue.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I have to say I've fallen a bit in love with iClone in it's latest incarnation. I feel like I'm cheating on Capsuleer, but iClone's item database, POS fuel monitor and the ability to monitor your wallet and sales is invaluable. It's a hugely improved and far more stable than it used to be.

    Capsuleer is still great too though - I prefer it's interface/layout, it's a bit sexier, quicker and less clunky. And it's got some really good blogs ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Stan. Glad you dropped by.

    Roc mentioned that a new version of Capsuleer will be released soon. I'm looking forward to reviewing it as well. Hope it continues to take the lighter path, as it is what makes the app so appealing.

    ReplyDelete