5/01/2010

Mission progress & limited shortcuts


Dax Jr. is now at chapter six of the mission arc in that horribly fitted Catalyst. One ugly ship, if I may say so. It looks like a WW II era aircraft that somehow traveled through time to become a Gallente ship. I will even go as far as blaming the destroyer's design for my slow progress. Hopefully I'll replace that piece of abomination with one of the most aesthetically pleasing ships in approximately thirteen hours.

I understand and respect the design philosophy for each faction, but that does not necessarily mean I have to agree with the way a certain class of ship looks. The news is the next expansion, Tyrannis, will bring changes to existing models such as turning asymmetrical ships proportional. Of course diversity is important and some hulls look great while defying conventions. I am glad CCP realized something had to be done years after releasing EVE.


Flying a Gallente ship feels a lot like playing a hunter in WoW. Loading ammo, getting in range, and controlling drones(pet) in tandem are the same. EVE does not provide as many shortcuts for players but there is a way to manage those drones just as easily. The key is to find a comfortable setup for shortcuts. I did this:

Alt-1 All Drones: Engage
Alt-2 All Drones: Return and orbit
Alt-3 All Drones: Return to dronebay

Normally I would launch drones just before closing in on my target and give the engage command once I'm done locking it. By then the ship has aggro and the drones can safely orbit the target and put it down. Saves time and it's a whole lot better than having to click each drone.

Due to the conservative attitude of the developer, EVE Online has not seen any customized UI, add-ons or in-game macros which can significantly improve gameplay experience. On this front, I have to make comparisons with other MMO's out there - I'd have all my shortcuts bound additionally to Alt-1~3, Shift-1~3, Q, Alt-Q, E, Alt-E, Alt-R, F, Z, X, C, V, and seven mouse buttons for games such as WoW or Warhammer Online and I always needed more bindings. EVE could really use shortcuts for improved ship control, such as approach, and combat that are not supported in the client.

No comments:

Post a Comment